Thursday, September 8, 2011

Birth Story part 1

When July 3rd came and went with just some "pre-labor" I was pretty sure that baby brother was going to take his sweet time, just like his big brother. After trying to spot some 4th of July fireworks & going to bed I started having many more "practice contractions", or so I thought. Throughout the night I tried to get comfortable, but just couldn't....by the time my mom came to take me to my doctor's appointment everyone (but me) was pretty sure I was in labor. I still thought it was probably just stupid "pre-labor". Of course when I saw my doctor she said I was a 5 and ready to go to the hospital. She also asked why I didn't come in earlier, to which I replied, "well, I knew I had an appointment today". (Totally clueless was I). So I called hubby to get the bag (of course I hadn't brought it!) and come meet me at the hospital. After I got checked in my mom took Dean & they took me upstairs.

They drew my blood to get bloodwork done for my epi & started doing to intake paperwork. My husband and the anesthesiologist arrived around the same time. I got my epidural (heaven, once again) and asked the nurse if I could have a nap. The on-call doctor said I could have an hour & then I was going to have a baby. The doctor came in & had me do some "practice pushes", about 20 minutes later, Ben was here! He weighted 7 pounds, 1 oz. and was 20 inches long. He latched on right away & started eating, so we had about an hour of resting & snuggling before his bath and whatnot. After his bath the nurse noticed he was a little jittery, so she decided to check his blood sugar. When the meter beeped & she saw that it was very low, he was quickly wheeled to the nursery while we followed close behind.....

No comments:

Post a Comment